Monday 29 August 2011

Tuesday August 29th 2011 (Unit 10 - Global Thinking)

 


Link to the Global Zero website and video
http://www.globalzero.org/





Modal Verbs of Probability Exercises
Use must, might, may, could or can't plus the correct form of the verb.
EXERCISE 1
1. Where is David? He _________________ (be) at school. Classes begin at 8.
2. She_________________ (think) that it is a good idea. It's crazy!
3. I'm absolutely sure! They _________________ (arrive) yesterday, I saw their ticket.
4. Are you joking! David _________________ (go) to Paris last week. He doesn't have enough money.
5. They _________________ (live) in New York, but I'm not sure.
6. The concert _________________(be) wonderful last night. Fiore is a great conductor.

7. John _______________________ (be) at work, or perhaps he’s at the gym – or even the pub!
8. Jane _______________________ (leave) the party with John last night, but I’m not sure.

EXERCISE 2
Rewrite these sentences using must or can’t.
1. I’m sure she’s at home.
2. I’m certain you’re crazy.
3. I know that isn’t Janet – she’s in the USA.
4. I’m sure she thinks I’m stupid.
5. I bet I look silly in this coat.
6. They’re always buying new cars – I’m certain they make a lot of money.



To do list for the future
-Create a new document
-using the 10 modal verbs. Think 10 possibilities that you want for your future and then give a reason why you have chosen this posibility.
- Example: I could get married on a beach in Hawaii with all my family and friends.
or
I ought to spend more time keeping in touch with my friends that live in other cities/countries.
-When you have finished, share them with a friend.

  • can
  • could
  • may
  • might
  • shall
  • should
  • will
  • would
  • must
  • ought to
  • 2: Using modal verbs to talk about the past:

    must / might / could / may / can't + have + past participle

    (Click here to review how to make the past participle)
    • must have + past participle
    • might / might not have + past participle
    • could / couldn’t have + past participle
    • may / may not have + past participle
    • can’t have + past participle
    For example:

    You: Where was Julie last night?
    David:
    • She must have forgotten about our date.
    • She might have worked late.
    • She could have taken the wrong bus.
    • She may have felt ill.
    • She can’t have stayed at home.

    Will / won’t + have + past participle

    Will and won't / will not + have + past participle are used for past certainty (compare with present use of 'will' above):
    • The parcel will have arrived before now.

    Should + have + past participle

    Should + have + past participle can be used to make an assumption about something that has probably happened, if everything is as we expect (compare with present sue of 'should' above):
    • The train should have left by now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elec 1 - Thursday

 Digital Detox