Wednesday 12 October 2011

Writing tips / similes and metaphors

1) https://docs.google.com/a/canada-english.com/document/d/19ttX-1K8OuygFzGSAyozEg_nYVy0tWve58kTgncTkas/edit?hl=en_US

Please complete this worksheet on writing tips and advice.




2)
Topic Sentences: Analogies (Similes and Metaphors)
When you write a topic sentence, you can often use analogies to make it more interesting. An analogy is when you say one thing is something else. For example:

· My father is a bear in the morning. (Your father is not really a bear, so this is an analogy.)

· My sister is like an angel in my life. (Your sister is not really an angel, so this is an analogy.)


There are two kinds of analogies that we often use: Similes and Metaphors.

Similes
 use the words “like” or “as”:
  • My sister is like an angel in my life.
  • My bedroom is like a box of silence in a noisy world.
  • My father is angry as a bear when he wakes up.
Metaphors do not use “like” or “as”:
  • My father is a bear in the morning.
  • This food is trash.
  • My grandfather is superman.
  • My teacher is the devil!
Read these analogies. Write “S” if it is a simile or “M” if it is a metaphor.
1. _____ My life is a dream.
2. _____ Math is like a puzzle that never ends.
3. _____ My mother is an angel, always watching over me.
4. _____ Love is a flower that grows and becomes more and more beautiful.
5. _____ My mother is beautiful, with hair that is soft as a cloud.
6. _____ This city is a sea of sadness.
7. _____ The ocean waves hit the beach like a thousand hammers.
8. _____ My wife is the light in my life.
9. _____ Watch out for John. He is a sneaky snake.
10. _____ When my brother fell, he howled like a wolf.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Elec 1 - Thursday

 Digital Detox